Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Some Sadness

Image hosting by Photobucket
I got the call this morning that I was hoping not to get. My dad called to tell me that grandpa has taken a turn for the worse. It appears that he is not responding to the cancer medication. He is in an incredible amount of pain and hasn't been sleeping much as of late. They go back to the doctor's next week and he will probably start aggressive chemo...that is, if he decides to do anything at all.


G-ma is having a very difficult time. Her spirits are pretty low and she's aging rapidly...caring for my grandpa has just worn her out. She'd be okay if she wasn't carrying the weight of half of the family in addition to her own worries. But, bitching about the extended family is not my point right now.

My dad said that after talking to g-ma, he thinks we'll be lucky to have grandpa much longer than July. I plan to go back for a week next month, and it appears that the timing is just about perfect for when g-ma will need me. I will arrive on the heels of my aunt's departure and will myself be departing just days before my g-ma's best friend arrives for a visit. I'm also putting together a trip for my dad to go see them in June. He plans to fly back home about the same time they leave, possibly even traveling with them.

It's been a very, very long day, and it's not even close to over yet. The one bright spot is that I am going to my very first professional basketball game tonight. I am going to the King's last home game of the season. I'm stoked. Maybe it will help me pull out of this funk. It can't hurt...