Thursday, June 16, 2005

No Longer Silent

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Ok, so this morning I was doing my daily political blog reading…I’ve been doing this routine for a while…I read between two and four right-wing blogs and then I read the top mainstream media stories of the day. I figure this way I know both sides of the story and I can make a more informed decision.

I am coming to realize, just as my mother predicted, that I am becoming more conservative as I become more well-read. Anyway, my two favorites to read are Generation Why and Michelle Malkin.


I don't usually post my political views here...for the most part I figure that none of you particularly care about my politics...but something I read this morning made my blood boil. Ya'll remember the ruckus created by the "Dixie Dicks" (thanks Superman) and their views a couple years ago??? Well this next story is right up there...only more frightening because it came from the mouth of one Senator Dick Durbin who should know better.

If you want the full story, I recommend hopping over to Jason's post. It made me so furious to read about Senator Dick and his statements regarding the brave men and women of our Armed Forces over in Iraq.

Senator Dick effectively spit in the faces of all the soldiers who have fought, are fighting, and will continue to fight to keep this nation safe and free... I don't know about ya'll, but I am damn proud of Clark and all the other soldiers I know and love...this country is great because of selfless actions for the good of the whole rather than the selfish grandstanding of politicians and the mainstream media.

All this troop bashing is far more effective in destroying the morale of those brave men and women than any actions of the terrorists...all the do is sit back and watch us self-destruct...I can't sit by silently any more...

Senator Dick, I have a message for you...
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ~ John Stuart Mill

***Addendum***
I just saw this article when I was reading the newspaper...it's amazing what you can find when you put in the right search words (yeah research law rears its ugly head again) anyway, it's an opinion article from The L.A. Times entitled We Are Our History. I highly recommend it...regardless of which side of the political fence you stand on.