Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Can't Say Enough

Today is Seven Inches of Service Day. This week we had a last minute topic change in response to this and this. My service sisters and I thought that it went without saying, but apparently it doesn't. So this week we each wrote an open letter to our American service men and women, our little way of saying thank you. Go check out the rest.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

To all of the men and women of the United States Armed Forces:

THANK YOU.

I'm sure there are times when you don't hear those words enough; but from the core of my being: Thank you.

Thank you for doing what I cannot. I would make a lousy soldier and I know that; so I leave that job for those of you who are stronger and braver than I. There are not words to adequately describe the appreciation and admiration I hold for each of you. I know very well the sacrifices you make day in and day out; at least as much as I can understand having never been to war myself.

My opinion of this war or that conflict is immaterial. What matters is that each one of you know that you have my respect and support by any means I have. I can only hope that through reading this, and the letters of my fabulous Service Sisters, you will be able to see that the media and assorted critics are a very small percentage of Americans. Most Americans I know, myself included, are proud to call this country home.

I for one am grateful for the security and peace I enjoy because of men and women like you who take the burden of freedom onto themselves. The older I get, the more aware I become that not only is freedom not free, it's a very expensive privilege and I, along with millions of other Americans, are blessed to know no other way of life.
Thank you for your willingness to make personal sacrifices to keep this country great. Thank you for taking on the responsibility of guarding the freedoms we enjoy and frequently take for granted.

"Freedom has its life in the hearts, the actions, the spirit of men and so it must be daily earned and refreshed - else like a flower cut from its life-giving roots, it will wither and die." ~Dwight D. Eisenhower

What I can do is say thank you, in words and actions. I cannot empathize over the horrors of war; but I can listen and I can sympathize, and sometimes that is enough. I can say that I am proud to be an American because of your bravery and humility. You are true warriors with courage and pride I can only hope to someday achieve.

While the words are pitiful in light of the reality you face; they are sincere words. Don't lose heart; though the critics are loud...they are few. Stay safe where ever you are, or what ever your mission may be. Take care of each other and come home safely. You are loved, thought of fondly and missed greatly.

With love and prayers for safety,
Audrey