Thursday, June 30, 2005

True Outrage

"There is so much we cannot do. We cannot give the children back their parents, but we can return to them their most basic human rights--their rights to health, tenderness and life." Audrey Hepburn

Ok, so I'm going out on a limb here and I'm going to get on another political soapbox. Those of you who know me in my real life know that this cause is a big deal to me...it is something I am very passionate about.

A little background so that this tirade doesn't come out of nowhere...I was reading political blogs around the 'sphere...and I am so very, very tired of hearing ill-informed alarmists and so-called watchdogs spewing the rhetoric of "No blood for oil."

Is that really the only thing ya'll have to say?? Ya'll can't possibly think that is the only thing this war is about?? Or, in the same vein...there is the ever popular Gitmo drama that has actually ended up back-firing on the uninformed...

Anyway, I'm starting to get off-track...back to my original rant, I am sick and tired of hearing about "the injustice" of it all...of the "callous attitudes" of the U.S. military personnel just doing their jobs...but here's where I get really frustrated...

I would put good money on the fact that all these grandstanders never even flinched at the concept of Blood Diamonds; the diamond market barely felt the effects here in America...so apparently it's only certain ethnicities who are worthy of the liberal political outrage...

These politicians didn't stop buying diamonds and other jewels...they barely acknowledged the reports of the slaughter of the innocents...God forbid they (the American politicos) have to show up for any event as anything less than glitterati. I'm sure there are a few who at least paused long enough to get their next round of jewels certified. (which for the record is still the only way to be sure that your diamonds haven't come from the slave mines in Sierra Leone)

The civil wars in Sierra Leone produced thousands of victims, and yet it barely registers on the public conscious...but a few terrorists claim to have been mistreated and the nation is up in arms?!?!?! How can this be? If this country (which I happen to love and am so proud to be a part of) is going to invest aid money in foreign countries...how 'bout we continue to direct money towards the helpless...not waste time "to rehabilitate" criminals who go back out to terrorize us again??

In my mind this isn't an apples and oranges debate...but rather a Granny Smith versus Fuji issue... but that's my two cents worth.

End Rant.

Posted by Hello