Thursday, June 16, 2005

The Spirit of the Day

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

**Update** Picasa is still on time out but I got around that...so now I am reposting this one...that and I like this song...and the picture...this is one of Clark playing with one of the new humvees in the Sandbox...ok and I didn't want this buried in the archives...

picasa and hello are misbehaving...off with their heads!! Anyway, it's time for the song of the day. In honor of Memorial Day, I chose a song by Keni Thomas...he's an up and coming country singer with an incredible voice and and even better story. In 1993, Keni was a SGT in the Army Rangers and he was part of the task force in Mogedishu...the mission made famous years later by the book and movie entitled, Blackhawk Down... Anyway, I've been following Keni Thomas' story for years and I was stoked to see his solo debut finally come out. So, today's song:

Not Me ~ Keni Thomas (feat. Emmylou Harris and Vince Gill)

No one raised their hand that day
when they asked for volunteers.
He got picked out by default
he was the only daddy there.
They said we know what you're thinking
Choose someone else instead
but this league is built on coaches
who stood right there and said...

Not Me, not me
no way with this job of mine
i could never find the time
not me, not me

The world becomes a better place when
someone stands and leads the way
steps forward when they'd rather say not me

The judge says you're the oldest:
makes you the legal guardian
I'm sorry that you lost your folks
but there’s no next of kin
Two brothers and a sister
she knew how hard it would be
but she softly said I'll raise them
while a voice inside her screamed....

Not me
Not me
I can't believe what's happening
This isn't how it's supposed to be
Not me
not me

The world becomes a better place
when someone stands and leads the way
steps forward when they'd rather say not me

A young captain at attention,
a star pin on his chest
He recalls the battle while the final roll call's read
They were the finest soldiers
it was my privilege to lead
They deserve the medals
the men who died not me

Not me
not me
I just did what I was called to do
you'd do the same if it was you
Not me
not me

The world becomes a better place
when someone stands and leads the way
steps forward when they'd rather say not me

Yeah steps forward
when they'd rather say
Not me
Not me

Not me

Proceeds from Keni's album go to the Hero's Fundfor children of deceased Special Forces members.