Friday, October 21, 2005

Judy

All I Ask



When it comes down to it, there isn't much I can askof civilians in support of me personally. I don'twant you to kiss my ass or wave a flag in my face.Don't offer me false sympathy or tell me that you knowhow I feel. The odds are: you have no clue.Being a seperated army girlfriend is like a long distance relationship on CRACK. In this kind of relationship (during deployments at least) waiting for his call isn't just about feeling validated - its amatter of life and death.The only thing I can really ask of civilians at all is not to pretend that you understand. Military family members, however, are a differentstory.

It is very difficult, dare I say impossible,to survive your man's deployment if you can't get along with his family. The odds are, if your soldier is overseas - he might only have the time/energy to contact one person: either a representative of his family, or his girl. If a soldier contacts his family first (which he probably should - but only so long as he remembers to get to his girl soon!), his family becomes her lifeline. The same is true in reverse.

A constant exchange of communication is VITAL to everyone's sanity. Hell, its gotten to the point where I talk to Gene's parents about 5X more than he does - and his siblings visit me and call on a regular basis. When it comes down to it, I don't want the credit here. Oh sure, its as tough as fuck to be in this kind of relationship - but not nearly as difficult as dodging mortars in a sandstorm.
Judy