Monday, January 29, 2007

Here's to Business Trips

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I survived Long Beach in one piece, and I actually can't wait to go back in a couple weeks. We have a three day conference next month and my boss (the one I like) and I are flying in early to take a road trip to Mexico before we have to work. We figure if we have to travel all over...we might as well travel all over. I'm so excited; it's been forever since I've been to Mexico.

I'm still completely swamped with the After Action Report and we are hoping to have a draft version completed by February 1st. We'll see how that goes. It's over 400 pages right now and there are still several sections left to analyze.

While we were in Long Beach last week, I sat around with a bunch of the guys from my office and several drinks. As usual, after a while the conversation turned to work and all of the great things we are trying to accomplish in the Exercise Planning this year. Out of nowhere, one of the guys, the one in charge of Large Stadium Initiatives, asked me if I want to be an Exercise Planner. The conversation went something like this:

Captain E: Audrey, have you thought about being an exercise planner?
Me: well, of course, I think it's something I would want to do.
Captain E: I'm serious about this, would you want to be an exercise planner?
Me: Well yeah, I would someday.
Captain E: How about next year? How about it Chief? I told you Audrey would be interested. And hell, I'd work with her to make it happen.
Chief W: Audrey, I think you would make a damn good exercise planner and if I get my way then you will certainly have learned by osmosis by the time this year is over.
Captain E: Hell, I'd be her assistant if that's what it takes.
Chief W: Well, then it's settled. Let's see if we can't get everything lined up this year and get Audrey a planning gig for 2008. Do you want Tahoe or Los Angeles?
Me: How about San Diego?
Captain E and Chief: We'll work on it!!

I may love this place after all!! I may actually, after all the drama, have a shot at a real career...here's to hoping. I know it's all talk at this point, but it was really nice to have two men I really respect say flat out that they think I could go this job. Did I mention that it would be a seven pay grade jump?