Monday, May 16, 2005

Friday the 13th


Happy Monday ya’ll! I am still in the land of the living and I am going to consider that a great feat. Anyway, I hope everyone’s weekend was spectacular.

So, as I’m sure everyone has realized by now…Friday was the 13th. I never really bought into the whole bad luck on Friday the 13th. I’ve always had a black cat…I frequently walk under ladders, in fact fire training requires you to stand under ladders…I am careful with mirrors, but mostly that’s because I don’t want to cut myself on the glass shards. There are a few things I am superstitious about, like believing that things come in threes, and the like. I’m sure we’ll explore that more deeply at a later date.

While I have no idea whether it had anything to do with the date or the moon or the polarities of the earth or whatever it may have been…I had a nasty case of the “mean reds”.

Holly Golightly: You know those days when you get the mean reds?
Paul Varjak: The mean reds, you mean like the blues?
Holly Golightly: No. The blues are because you're getting fat and maybe it's been raining too long, you're just sad that's all. The mean reds are horrible. Suddenly you're afraid and you don't know what you're afraid of. Do you ever get that feeling?

It was awful…I think I was horrid to everyone. I could feel myself detaching and getting manic…and I just didn’t care. I’m not sure how Miss Jess put up with me to be quite honest. I got so jealous that I was at home in my p.j.s at 10 o’clock on a Friday night. I was homesick and the last thing I wanted to hear was that Miss Jess was out partying with our people. It just made sad and cranky…and it didn’t help that JD and I had just gotten into a fight.

Ok so “fight” is much too strong of a word. The reality is that he got upset about the idea that I may be moving back to San Diego if I end up getting this job. He is one of my references and has been for years, but he told me that he was selfish and didn’t want me to get this job. See here’s the thing…JD is one of the few people in my life that if they are upset with me, I get upset. I don’t usually care what people think or say…but some peoples’ opinions matter to me. We didn’t even get to talk it all out…he had to go…duty calls and all.

Anyway…my mood improved significantly by the next day. I was just glad to be rid of the “mean reds”.

Posted by Hello