Thursday, July 28, 2005

Dog and Pony Show Gone Awry


Regardless of what the universe tosses your way or how suddenly it's tossed, you've always been much more liable to wait, think and consider what to do next than to react immediately. That's a trait that's come in handy more than once, but it won't do the job now. What's called for at the moment is the ability to act quickly and to be bold enough to make the consequences of those actions stick, both of which you definitely have covered.

Well the first part sure is true! This day has been just one thing after another…not just today, rather this last week has been a nonstop rollercoaster. I don’t even know where to start…I know that there are a lot of moderately important details that I have left out thus far.

I will attempt to fill in the gaps and we’ll see what happens. So I guess I should back up to when Grace got here. I took the whole family (minus dad who was working…that story is next) with me to the airport to pick up Grace. In our excitement and exhaustion, we took the wrong bags from the airport. A fact we wouldn’t realize until hours later. Thankfully it was no huge problem the next morning we went back to the airport and retrieved the correct bag.

So after the airport Saturday night, we took Grace, D, and the kids to the station to see Dad. The kids had a blast playing on the trucks and wandering around the station meeting all the other guys. Guess who was pulling overtime?? Ya’ll get three guesses and the first two don’t count.

Yes sports fans, JD was working and damn did he look good!! Wait, so not my story. He and Grace finally met and because there was enough going on around us, we three managed to get a descent amount of time together to just hang out. It was great and considering how awkward this meeting could have been…it went off perfectly! Grace and JD got along wonderfully, as I figured they would, and they even managed to gang up and tease me a few times. The only downside…I now have to enlist another person to be my impartial sounding board when it comes to JD, as Grace is now infatuated as well. (Though, we did find her a pretty-ish firefighter of her very own) ;-)

Next…ya’ll already got the rundown on the concert and hangin’ with Joel on Sunday. Oooh, side note: little brother Bean is bringing us the signed items for our collage that we were previously lacking. :-D Yay us!! And yay little brother!

My workweek has been insane with this new report system that has been implemented. We are slowly working out the kinks…so hopefully soon things will get back to normal. (we had yet another meeting today)

Grace and I have been running back and forth all over creation trying to balance apartment drama with seeing family and getting caught up with friends. Tuesday was family dinner night in Napa (“when you get tired you take a napp-a; you don’t move to Napa!!”) It went well, I love that Grace gets along with my big, loud, crazy family. They really are fun!

Last night was fire cadets, no big brother S…he’s off in the woods being the grand poobah of the band geeks. (you know I love ya, S) So I had to teach by myself again…no big deal at all…I just had a manic crash right before I was supposed to go; this in addition to having to return to work to help sort out another disaster. Oy vey!! I need a new job, or a vacation, or a pay raise or all the above would be great.

Anyway, apartment drama: that’s what sparked this whole post in the first place. Grace and I have been running in veritable circles the last 48 hours trying to get all our ducks into the pond (forget the whole row concept). I am all for flexibility…but I don’t do well when NOTHING is set in stone. You’d think that after the last two and a half years of my life I’d be used to this…but no such luck. I am still human after all. So anyway, we are hoping that all the paperwork goes through and we still get to move in on Monday…if not then, we have to wait until Wednesday. We really hope the former is out option.

So that is the basic story of my life this week. Grace and I fly to San Diego tomorrow night to load up her moving truck and start heading back this direction.

I just remembered...today is Daniel's 26th birthday...damn we're getting old. ;-) Just kidding...not about the birthday though.



Posted by Picasa