Monday, July 18, 2005

Tormented by Technology


Technology is not my friend today. I was flat out shut down twice this morning...and I lost my post for Miss Joan's site twice before I decided to just rewrite the whole thing from scratch. For the record, it's an entirely different post than what I started out writing.

Anyway, I have been thwarted repeatedly in my attempt to simply perform my job. We just got a new server here at the office for our large computer network. The tech guys usually work all of the bugs out over the weekend in the hopes that production won’t be affected too much by whatever change has been made. No such luck this time though…our indexer or whatever it’s called, is currently cataloging all of the documents in our system. I work for a research law firm remember? We have a lot of documents in the system.

FG and I are in the midst of a lame and oh so boring project of sorting letters by their year. Yes it’s simple, a trained monkey could do it…which doesn’t say much for our intelligence seeing as we have screwed up several times. But, in our defense we are working with 28 years worth of random letters that may or may not have a logical order. At any rate this day is not particularly exciting. One of our attorneys came by a moment ago to inform us that we may not be up and running tomorrow either. Sigh…so frustrating!! I really did have work that needed done…but now it will continue to pile up for another day.

It’s amazing to realize how much work in an office requires the use of some portion of Microsoft Office. Oy! Well, maybe I’ll get to go home early. I need the hours, but right now my brain is mush! Oh well, back to sorting I go.


Posted by Picasa