Monday, July 11, 2005

When It Rains


...it pours. I always say that, and it's always the case these days...(interesting note for some: notice the way I spelled that phrase, at least it wasn't my drama this time)

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!!! Ok, it’s not, but now that I have your attention: this weekend sucked!! It was one drama after the other, or one frustration after another…sigh, I will be so glad when I can hide in a hole for a day or two.

Ok so it’s not quite that bad in retrospect, but 72 hours ago I wouldn’t have felt that way. Just to give you a picture of the severity…I woke JD up at 1am while he was on duty. Yeah, now ya’ll see how serious I am.

Let me try to start at the beginning, well kind of, anyway. I went out to dinner with the girls from work on Friday night. We were having drinks and just decompressing from the insanity of the work week. Well, something told me to be really careful of how much I drank; so I only had a couple.

It was a good thing too…my night lasted well into the next morning. I literally went from one friend’s drama to the next until I found myself on the road out to G’s bar. She called me in absolute hysterics and begged me to come out to rescue her.

Kent had shown up…with another girl…as far as I knew, G and Kent were trying to work things out…I guess she finally had her answer…it was a pretty terrible situation and he was a complete asshole about the whole thing.

He acted as if there was nothing wrong and that it was G who had a problem…he flat out said that nothing had ever happened between the two of them…it was ridiculous. Anyway, G was such a mess before I got there that I couldn’t even calm her enough to get full words, let alone complete thoughts.

So, I did the only thing I knew would work: I called JD. He was at work, it was already late and under normal circumstances, I don’t just call him to chat. I figured this was as much of an emergency as we were gonna get. He didn’t pick up, which was fine, I didn’t want to worry him too much so I left a message explaining what I knew so far and asking him to call either G or me when he got a chance.

In the interim, I picked G up from her bar (I had her call her sister in to cover the shift so I could get G out of there for a little while) and I took her to another bar. Normally I wouldn’t encourage her to drink, especially not when she was supposed to be working…but ya’ll know what they say about “desperate times”.

While we were still there, JD called me. I explained the situation a little further and then dragged G out of the bar so she could talk to him. JD managed to calm her down enough to listen to what he had to say, just as I knew he could. After about thirty minutes, she was ready to go back inside her own bar and reassess the situation…so she gave JD and the phone back to me.

He and I talked for quite a while; it’s a bit disturbing to me how quickly he can calm me as well. It was good to talk to him, and while I felt bad about keeping him up, I knew he would have been really upset if I hadn’t called. So, he and I discussed all manner of things (except “us”. That topic is strictly verboten). When we were done, I went into the bar to check on G.

OY GEVALT!!! Can I just tell you? More drama…I broke up two screaming matches, I put G back together about eight more times and I sent four or five people home from the bar. Finally, we got another bartender to come in and cover the remainder or G’s shift, but she wouldn’t leave the bar. So, I did all I could, I picked the pieces of G up…I sent Kent away (twice) and then I left G in the care of the other bartender (whom she was going to the lake with the next day anyway) and the bouncer.

I had been given strict orders to call JD when I left. He wanted to know how G was, and he wanted to make sure I was alright…so I called and woke him up at almost 1am…I felt horrible about it since I know it woke his crew up as well…but what was I supposed to do? I knew JD would kick my arse if I didn’t call when I left. So we talked for a while and then I sent him back to bed and called Miss Jess. Thank God she was still up because I was reeling from all of the emotional exertion.

I finally crawled into my own bed around two with an awful migraine and a few vicodin. All I can say is: I truly love my friends…


Posted by Picasa