Friday, March 09, 2007

Each Day, A Little More

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I am regaining strength, mobility and energy each day. I have some sensation returning to my legs and torso and I am convinced that it won't be long now until I have my hands back to normal. I still have quite a bit of pain in my hands, and the constant reverberations in my spine are unpleasant at best; but I am worlds better than I was two weeks ago. So, I am thankful.

I had an appointment with the rhuematologist on Wednesday. She has determined (Drumroll please) that I have: Lupus.

Anyone surprised? Anyone? At least this is a formal diagnosis and allows me to begin treatments. I also know know the extent of my lupus. It's not advanced enough to be classified systemic. (That's a good thing) and so far, only my joints and Neurological systems seem to be involved. I'm starting on a medication called Plaquenil which is supposed to have a high success rate for treating Lupus and a low rate of side-effects.

Anyway, the rhuematologist says that even with all the tests they've done, they still can't say what caused the initial inflammation in my spine. THey do know that once the inflammation occurred, it caused the lesion that was already present between my C4 and C5 vertabrea to exert pressure and cause transverse myelitis in my spine...hence the loss of sensation. (In my head it was funnier to say cessation of sensation...but I refrained from too much Dr. Suess)

I am also cleared to go back to work part-time starting on Monday!! I can't work more than three full days in a week, but that's okay. I will take what I can get right now. I can't wait to get back there. No more sitting around on the couch!! WooHoo!!

So, now ya'll know as much as I do, which granted isn't that much at all. Thank you for all the continued thoughts and prayers and encouragement.

Labels: