Monday, July 18, 2005

Find the Cost of Freedom


All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. ~ Edmund Burke

Only the dead have seen the end of war. ~ George Santayana


This is a song my dad used to sing to me when I was very small. I know I have written before about the musical influences my dad had on my early life. This is one of those songs that has stuck with me throughout the years. It seemed appropriate what with the subject of today. So here ya go: (oh, for the record, it's about the Civil War not Vietnam.)

Daylight Again ~ Crosby, Stills & Nash

Daylight again, following me to bed
I think about a hundred years ago, how my fathers bled
I think I see a valley, covered with boys in blue
All the brave soldiers that cannot get older
been askin' after you
Hear the past a callin', from Armageddon's side
When everyone's talking and no one is listening,
how can we decide?

(Do we) find the cost of freedom, buried in the ground
Mother earth will swallow you, lay your body down
Find the cost of freedom, buried in the ground
Mother earth will swallow you, lay your body down
(Find the cost of freedom buried in the ground)

Posted by Picasa