Monday, August 15, 2005

Beautiful Day


This weekend was a rush from one place to another, one activity to another. Someday, I have every intention of slowing down…a nap sounds good these days, come to think of it. Anyway, Saturday was spent hauling my stuff to our apartment. There are boxes stacked on boxes upstairs now, but neither Grace nor I have had the time yet to go through them to put things away.

I still don’t even have my pictures up on the wall. They are all stacked in piles on the floor. That is the most disconcerting part for me…I can be without many things, my pictures are not one of them. Hopefully I will get some of them on the walls tonight.

Sunday was an exercise in Murphy’s Law. But it all turned out well in the end. After much running around, Grace and I took my nieces and dad and the ogre to Fairfield to meet up with g-ma and g-pa. From there, everyone but Grace and myself went to Napa for a family BBQ. (I really love our times in Napa)

She and I made a side trip…we went to see my Grandma E in the care home where she now resides. She was absolutely beautiful! Old and shrunken yes; but so very vital and vibrant even. Her eyes still glow and she still grins like always. We caught her on a good day where she knew who everyone was, she asked intelligent questions and she remembered most of what I told her.

Ya’ll would just fall in love with my Grandma E. She is a firecracker! Born and raised outside of New Orleans (Loosianna) as she calls it. She has that Southern way of telling you what for with a sweetness in her voice that makes you say “thank you” when she’s finished reading you a riot act as it were. She was giving the other old people fits! It was wonderful to see.

We talked about times years ago, reminisced about my g-ma, talked about my life now, her “bossy” kids…so many things and it was fabulous!! She was so funny! Had a comment about everything, and it was good to hear her tease her “sweet, little, feisty darlin’” (that would be me, in case ya’ll wondered) I got a lot of teasing for all manner of things and it was great. I couldn’t have been happier with how the whole visit went. Grandma E loved Grace too.

I have really missed my adopted grandma, ya’ll. I can’t begin to tell you. She was such a pillar of my early life. I learned a lot of my mannerisms from her; much of my faith came through her and my g-ma’s examples. I am so thankful that now I know where her care home is, I can visit her more regularly. It will be good for both of us.


Posted by Picasa