Friday, August 12, 2005

Slighty Somber


I know I don’t write about them very often, but my family is amazing. Yeah, we’ve got our problems, just like anyone else, but my family is pretty phenomenal if I do say so myself. This really isn’t as random as it appears. My relationship with my family has, in the last two years improved so drastically that it still surprises me. We still fight, or at least strongly disagree…but I truly love my family.

Ogre and I have been getting along really well this last year and I am grateful for that. For those who don’t know, Ogre is what we call my little brother. I use the term “little” loosely because while he is younger, he is also twice my size. Ogre is my only biological sibling. I do however have one older adopted sister and two more older “adopted” siblings. My parents were always taking in “stray kids” as they called it.

My extended family is also very close-knit, this includes my g-ma (who is one of my favorite people in the world) and my cousin TG, who is really more of a sister to me. Anyway, g-ma and grampa are out here visiting for a few more days. It really pains my heart to think about her leaving again. Sigh…such is life for now I suppose.

Anyway, this is just beginning to be my point. My dad came by the house yesterday to give me an update on the extended family. I am going with g-ma to visit her best friend who is like a grandma to me. She’s been in a nursing home for a while and isn’t well. But she had a good day this week and asked that g-ma come back to visit…so this time I will go too. It will be hard to see Grandma E as an old woman…she was always so vibrant and energetic and the woman makes the best Cajun red beans and rice I’ve ever had. (Gotta love cooking straight from New Orleans) I know it’s even harder on g-ma so if this is something I can do for her, then I will go without further thought.

Dad also told me about my great uncle who still lived in Kansas. He was a riot…practical joker from the word go and playing cards was always fun with him around. His health has been in decline for a few years and he’s never been the same after my great aunt died. They were each others’ world…really quite sweet to watch.

Anyway, I got the call from mamacita on my lunch break today: he passed in his sleep last night. I’m glad he’s no longer in pain; but the selfish part of me is saddened that I didn’t get to see him as often as I would have liked. Sigh, at least he’s finally at peace.


Posted by Picasa