Monday, February 06, 2006

Just Part of Life

Image hosting by Photobucket
Sometimes love means loss.

Doing the the right thing isn't always easy. Not that the previous statement is a newsflash to anyone. Before anyone gets upset or worried about my state of mind; rest assured, I am alright.

I did get some bad news today. My mom called to tell me that the time has come for my oldest cat to be put down. This has been a long time coming, but I don't think it ever gets easier. I've had Junior for about 12 years...she is fondly referred to as the pirate cat. She only has one eye...an injury sustained when she was just a tiny kitten. She is one of the best mousers we've ever had...an important skill for a cat who lives in a barn.

In recent years, her age has begun to show. It takes her longer to get up and down. When she gets sick it takes her longer to recover. She doesn't hunt as frequently and doesn't play with the dogs as much. She's been getting consistently sicker the last few months and I can't stand to watch her suffer.

So, Wednesday afternoon I will take her to the vet and see what he has to say. If she has a curable problem, then I will do whatever I need to; however, I think that he's going to tell me it's time to let her go. She just isn't herself anymore...if she had just slowed down, I wouldn't consider having her put to sleep...but I know her arthritis is really bad and I can't stand for her to be in pain.

I know that letting go is the right decision, but it's never easy. Sigh...she's been a good cat for a long time and now I owe it to her to not let her suffer. I just hate thinking about it.