Tuesday, July 18, 2006

American? Then Act Like It

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I thought it was high time that I did my civic duty and let all my wonderful readers see what another of our warrior heroes has to say. Special Agent Frasier is from my hometown and is currently stationed in Iraq. A while back, he wrote this. Now, he's written again. His letter is here in its entirety.


To the people of [my home] County I write another letter from Iraq. This one is to rebut the numerous articles written by some opposed to President Bush and the war in Iraq. I have read some articles on-line and believe that the thoughts are not only completely without merit, but are simply anti-American. I have read as some have described our president as uncaring and moronic. They often revert to schoolyard name-calling, which is completely useless and reveals immaturity and unfamiliarity of the situation this nation is in. With all of some writers terms of wisdom as to how the war in Iraq is in the words of some "terrible and completely unnecessary" they continuously leaves out one message: An idea for improving the situation.

In my 16 years in the U.S. Army I have been taught not to complain about something unless you have an idea how to fix it. Apparently some have not been taught this lesson. Some are too wrapped up in an obvious political agenda in defacing Mr. Bush, the president of this nation, to think about what is being said.

In my opinion the statements of some mean the soldiers who have died in this war have done so for no reason. I guess they think their families should forget about the lives that their loved ones sacrificed for others. I for one take senseless rhetoric as a jab to my service to this nation and a slap in the face to all that serve or have served.

One writer's brilliant idea of having the president join patrols with Marines in Iraq during a recent visit is either a sign of instability or a wish for the president to be injured or possibly killed in an attack. Either way it is ridiculous. He is our president and there shouldn't be any American who wants any harm done to him. He is a symbol of our nation, like it or not. He is our commander and chief. He is a father and a husband. He is our leader. We as Americans need to sound as though we are not supporting the terrorists. Obviously, some are rooting for the insurgents.

As for the idea that this war is unnecessary; I ask those who think such thoughts how many days they have spent on the ground in Iraq? How many Iraqis have they talked to about their current situation and if it has improved since the removal of Saddam? How many terrorists have they seen up close and engaged? I'll go out on a limb and guess the answers are zero, zero and zero.

This country is improving on a daily basis. I know because I am in Baghdad, Iraq and get to see first hand the violence and all that comes with a war. I also get to see the improvements and steps taken to make this a free and democratic country.

I fight for the First Amendment right to free speech, but that doesn't mean we should say every delusional thought that comes to our minds. I assure you every soldier that has died for the freedoms that make us the greatest nation in the world, did not consider or want them to be used in a disrespectful of harmful manner towards our nation or its leaders.

For those who oppose this war and the president I ask, if you are an American, act as such. Feel free to complain as much as you seem fit. Dislike the president for the tough decisions he has made. Go ahead and pretend that you would make a better president and hold cabinet meetings with your pets. Have neighborhood children provide you with security while you walk from your car (Road Force One) to your front door.

But please think about what you are saying before you harmfully label a war that many have died for and believe in. Especially when the only way you can see a different view of Iraq is with a remote control. But more importantly have some respect for our country, our president and the troops that fight around the world so terrorist don't plant IEDs on the roads you drive on. Even if what we are doing is, in the words of some "terrible and completely unnecessary."

- Jerry K. Frasier is a special agent with the U.S. Army CID, Camp Slayer, Iraq.