Wednesday, August 17, 2005

All's Fair in Love


and rodeos!! ;-)

The fair starts today. I’m a little bit excited about it; mostly that’s just because this year I’m going to the rodeo and the demolition derby. I know, I know, it sounds awful oakie or redneck or whatever farm town slur you wanna throw my way. That’s alright with me though. I really don’t mind…I love rodeos. I started working security for rodeos when I was 14. I was already a regular at the arena since my infatuation (ok, so he was my boyfriend, but in retrospect, I was 14…what the hell did I know about anything??) was a bull rider. He went pro, by the way.

That is so not the point of my story. The point is, because of his riding, I hung out around a lot of “real” cowboys and bull riders…none of that dime-store-wanna-be crap. I learned a real appreciation for rodeos and the fact that I was an avid horseback rider at the time as well, didn’t hurt any.

Always being around there also gave me an in when it came time to find people to run crowd control for bull riding events. After I worked a few pro rodeos as crowd control, they moved me up into security and medic work. I loved it!!!

So my adventures in security are for an entirely different post. The whole point of this convoluted tale is that I love the atmosphere and action of rodeos. I could do without the stumbling, drunk cowboys…but the excitement of the crowd is just so much fun!! Besides, living in this small farm town also means that I still know many of the local riders and every event in this town is a reunion of sorts. Maybe I’ll see someone fun this year. After all, it was rodeo day the last time I saw Dean.

And, as an added bonus, Demolition Derby Days mean the roar of engines, the smell of diesel and all the cute mechanics and racers in the area come out of the woodwork for the events. ;-) Hey, I’m allowed to look…

However, before all the fun…I have cadets tonight and since S volunteered to staff the Fire Dept booth at the fair…I am on my own. No big deal tonight…I’ma simulate a blackout room…the kids will love it. Search and rescue gear in a pitch black room…should be fun…


Posted by Picasa