Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Literary Likings


I bought three new books on Sunday. I am very excited about this because it’s been a while since I bought books for myself. These days, it seems I barely have time to read the books I already have let alone actually hunt for new books I’d like to read. I have an ever-growing list of books I want to read as I find the time. But I digress, I have been so busy that I am currently only reading two books right now. I usually read three sometimes four.

At the moment, I am reading Rivington Street by Meredith Tax. It’s a historical novel about the workers’ movement at the turn of the Twentieth Century. (for those who don’t know, my senior project/thesis for my history major…yes I know I haven’t completed it, no I don’t know yet when I will go back…is on the child labor movement of the early 1900’s in America; spotlighting the newsboys’ strike of 1899 and the Shirtwaistmakers’ strikes in the first decade of the 1900’s. Just a bit of trivia) The other book I am reading is Deliver Us From Evil by Sean Hannity. It’s well written, it’s just taking me a while to get through…it’s not complicated, I’m just slow these days, I guess.

Once I’m done with those, my next set of books looks something like this: Stranger Than Fiction by Chuck Palahniuk, The Road to Hell by Michael Maren; I want to reread Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk and maybe even get my hands on Free Will and Determinism by Viggo Mortensen.

Lofty goals I know, hehe but I’ve gotta dream that someday I will be able to exercise my brain for something other than legal documents and legislative intent. I think that the legal analysis portion of my brain is on steroids but the philosophical analysis portion is about to atrophy. That is something I do miss about being in school. Not that I ever have to stop learning, but at least while I was in school, I had specific time set aside for these endeavors.

I want to go back ya’ll, I really do. I just can’t afford it right now, and until I figure out exactly how to utilize all the units I have, I can’t waste the money I don’t really have in the first place. I will finish eventually…


As a caveat, if anyone has any book suggestions, send them my way!! I am ravenous for good books right now. I love rereading from my vast collection, but I am in the mood for something new and different. :-)

Posted by Picasa